CALL IN to (646) 787-8587 and voice your opinion on this ridiculous verdict, or post your comments in the online chat room.
Thursday, I had a live call-in show to address the horrific misogyny happening in Texas, North Carolina, and around the country.
As the national spotlight shone on Wendy Davis and the women (and men!) of Texas standing up for women’s reproductive rights, other states are systematically legislating our rights away, requiring ultrasounds and other invasive procedures that amount to legal rape — rape BY the legal and political system.
North Carolina snuck an anti-choice measure into a motorcycle safety bill, and it was passed.
Meanwhile, across the pond, even Ireland has begun to awaken to their misogynist theocracy by passing legislation to legalize abortion if the life of the woman is at stake.
Late last night, the Texas legislature voted in opposition to the thousands who protested their anti-choice bill, as well as their own constituents, 90% of whom did not want the bill to pass.
SUPPORT AW Radio by making a tax-deductible donation here.
- RADIO: Trish Causey Discusses “When Fascism Comes to America…”
- RADIO: Trish Causey Hosts a LIVE AskTrish Show on Female Sexuality
- RADIO: Trish Causey Talks With Broadway Bombshell & Tony Award Winner Cady Huffman
- RADIO: Trish Causey Covers ‘The Problem With American Politics’
- RADIO: Trish Causey Discusses Dangers of Circumcision With Intact America’s Georganne Chapin
Being a Lakota from Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, Sunny is a staunch advocate for reproductive rights for indigenous women. Though she is very shy as a person, she is not shy about the lack of pro-choice options for indigenous women being a direct result of colonialism.
We also touched on the topic of what is happening in Texas with the anti-abortion bill before the state legislature, a bill that 80% of Texans oppose, but that the Repugs are trying to pass anyway. (More on that later!)
Sunny is also the subject of an upcoming PBS documentary, Young Lakota, and she was the recipient of the prestigious Emerging Leader Award by the Ms. Foundation.
Have a listen to the replay, and follow Sunny on Twitter: @SunnyClifford.
- NEWS: FDA’s Emergency Contraception Plan for Plan B Contradicts Court Ruling
- NEWS: Air Force’s Head of Anti-Sexual Assault Unit Arrested for Sexual Battery
- NEWS: Abortion Rights When Mother’s Life Is at Stake – Savita Halappanavar Dies in Ireland
- NEWS: No Women on House of Representatives’ Birth Control Panel
- NEWS: Susan G. Komen Finally Shows Its True Colors and It’s Not Pink
And yes…. I will eventually get back to actually writing here on the blog… quite possibly tomorrow! (I JUST realized I haven’t done a DailyOJ post since the beginning of MARCH! ACK!!)
I have tried to pack lots of shows into the AW Radio schedule so you can see the wide range of topics that interest me and that I hope interest you. In less than three weeks, I’ve had 2,685 listeners tune in as I covered why American politics sucks, talked with a Broadway composer who’s premiering his new LGBT work, interviewed a Broadway Tony winner on women archetypes in theatre, as well as interviewed a Kundalini master teacher, covered “Sex and the Voice” and “Porn vs. Erotica,” along with tackling Male Sexuality and Female Sexuality, and sex…. (and did I mention, sex?… Oh… Just making sure. :-D )
This week on ArousedWoman Radio Tuesday through Saturday at 9:00 p.m. ET each night, the topics are just as diverse:
- Trish Causey Chats With Lakota Women’s Rights’ Activist Sunny Clifford
- Trish Causey Chats w/ Arlene Goldbard on Culture & Politics
- Trish Causey Discusses “When Fascism Comes to America”
- Trish Causey Hosts LIVE AskTrish on Benefits of Meditation
- Trish Causey On Female Sexual Anatomy – The Clitoris & Vulva
Listeners can call in to the show to ask a question or make a comment by dialing (347) 884-8792 (NOT toll-free), or by calling in via Skype using the BLUE SKYPE ICON on the LIVE show page. (Do NOT call me directly on Skype! :-) )
Before I started the radio show, the #1 question I got was, “What does your voice sound like?” Well, now you know!…. And now, the most common question I get is, “When are you doing another show?” THIS IS AWESOME! :-) I’m so glad people are looking forward to my shows.
But the real answer is this — I hope to have the radio show on a regular schedule of interview-type shows on Tuesdays and Thursdays with Fridays saved for AskTrish and Anatomy shows. Wednesdays have been tough for people to tune in to the live show, and doing shows on Fridays have been very popular. So I’m still tweaking the schedule. Doing 4 to 5 shows per week is a LOT of work, so I’m hoping to taper off to 3 shows per week starting in July.
So until then…. THANK YOU for listening AND reading!
If YOU have a person you’d like me to interview or a topic you’d like me to cover, please leave a comment at the end of this blog post.
To submit a question you’d like me to cover on an AskTrish show, submit your query via my AskTrish page on my website. Also, look through the AskTrish posts here on the blog to see if I’ve already covered it. If I have, feel free to write in anyway, so we can get you answered on an upcoming LIVE AskTrish radio show.
All replays are available on the website: ArousedWoman.com.
And on a side note, a few things:
- Please take my Orgasm Questionnaire (’cause I’m nosy that way!).
- Sign up for my newsletter because I’ll start doing online workshops soon!
- If you like what I’m doing, please consider making a tax-deductible donation to keep the radio show going on my AW Radio crowdfunding page. I’ve posted some nifty Rewards, so take a look. As most of you know, I’m a single mom trying to Be the Change, and I know that sometimes even $5 is a lot of money. So I greatly appreciate every dollar that you donate to the show. EVERY bit helps! :-)
- AND I uploaded a test video onto YouTube. Check it out if you haven’t seen it. (Yes, I know the resolution sucks… darn front-facing iPhone cam!)
Thank you! And I hope you’ll tune in and call in to a LIVE ArousedWoman Radio show soon!
© 2013 by Trish Causey. All Rights Reserved.
I wrote about the April verdict by Judge Korman in which Plan B would be required to be available on store shelves without a prescription or an I.D. check within 30 days of the ruling. The FDA made their own announcement that it would be available to girls over the age of 15 with proof of age (an I.D. check), then the Justice Department decided to stick its misogynist nose into the fray just to complicate matters.
After a push by the Obama administration, the FDA relented slightly, saying emergency contraception, a.k.a. the morning after pill, would be available on the store shelves, without a prescription, but only for females aged 15 and over (still requiring that I.D. check). President Obama said he was “comfortable” with that.
Which, I guess, is all that matters — that a a man can be “comfortable” with a male-dominated government deciding when and how women and girls can have rights to their bodies.
He also used the phrase “scientific evidence” a couple of times when referring to why Plan B should be available to teenage girls without a doc’s script in an obvious play to knock out the religious objections to having the emergency birth control on the open shelves to be seen by god and everybody…. Why, hell’s, bells, Scarlet! Look up that Jesus quote about birth control being evil…. oh wait…. Jesus never mentioned birth control, did he? …. Hmmmmm….
Obama — I voted for you twice, so don’t allow this kind of bullshit to taint my opinion of your otherwise strong stance for women’s rights.
I’m sure there will be more to update on this story as the misogyny continues.