As the host of Musical Theatre Talk, I did a LOT of shows on the voice. The one show I never got to do — because I had listeners of all ages, was a show on how the voice is affected by sex, the sounds we make and even the sounds we don’t.
On the show, “Sex & the Voice,” Master voice teacher and voice researcher Jeannette LoVetri will elucidate on the anatomy of the voice as well as what happens to the voice when making certain sounds during sex. We will also cover what can happen to the voice when we try to stifle sounds so as not to be heard by neighbors or others in our home (or elsewhere) during trysts.
We will discuss how the effects of sexual trauma can inhibit sound production during consensual sex.
Some of the topics we talked about included the following:
- Basic anatomy of larynx.
- Sound production during sex — from glottal stops to moaning to yelling in ecstasy. What is healthy for the voice? What could damage the voice?
- What happens when we purposely do NOT use the voice during pleasure? Is there any damage from stifling sound?
- The damage to the voice/throat area due to certain sex fetishes such as choking partner during orgasm.
- Using sound to raise sexual energy, such as in Tantra and Kundalini.
- How sexual trauma inhibits sound during sex/making love.
I think I’ve realized a few things I can work on to make my experiences with the KSMO approach better…
1. Love my moan. Reading a chat of 7 Adepts talking about their experiences with KSMO, the lone female mentioned that once she started loving her moan, the feelings intensified. I know I think too much about the sound I’m making — that’s my singer training wanting to analyze what I’m doing and feeling. I also noticed the last time I had a solo sex session that I was holding my sound in — I was breathing, but not making sound.
I was never a “screamer” before KSMO — ’cause that’s bad for the voice and all (and I guess the sex wasn’t good enough for me to have anything to scream about). But I remembered a voice mentor once saying in regard to glottal stops (the hard, hit sound of some words that start with vowels, or when you stub your toe, and you have a sudden exclamation/belly crunch sound of “OH!”), that if the voice weren’t supposed to do it, it wouldn’t, but it can, so it can’t be all bad. I was holding my sound in because I was worried about the neighbors hearing. I have started doing my solo sessions during the day when none of them is home and I can be as loud as I want, but this time was late at night and so I was self-conscious. The O was fabulous, though.
So I will try not to be self-conscious even when the neighbors ARE home at night time because I really started enjoying the sounds I’ve been making on the way to the big O’s and afterward with the smaller O’s. At first, I thought the sounds were a little cheezy, but then I realized I was being judgmental.
Sometimes the sounds are low and rich, or quick and panting, but other times, my arousal sounds are soft, higher-pitched moanings. And the sound I’ve grown accustomed to emitting just as orgasm starts and through the orgasms is a straight-up I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR!!!! kind of scream / howl that I actually think is kinda groovy. (Hope my neighbors dig it.)
I’ve even noticed that during the height of orgasm, my eyes fly open — which is totally weird! It’s almost like some part of me wants to see what I look like during such an incredible orgasm. (Remind me to hang a mirror over my bed.)
2. Schedule my KSMO & solo sex sessions. I really have to plan for my sexual explorations, otherwise it can be a week or more in between, and I can feel the progress I’ve made start to slip away. Or I don’t feel I’m progressing to the energy orgasms & feelings as described here by other adepts. I need to work more on moving energy around, but maybe because I’m self-conscious of my sound (either my own judgment of it or the fear of disturbing neighbors at night time) creates an energy block? After all, the whole point of the key sound is to integrate breathing / sound with arousal to achieve the legendary multiple orgasms.
3. Relax more. From the ambiance of the room, to just being comfortable, to knowing I have the time it will take to do the 20-minute protocol as well as lay around to experience / feel any after effects — all of this makes the session satisfying for me. Taking shortcuts on any of these seems to affect my KSMO experience… ugh…
And of course, I can’t get back on my real KSMO schedule till after the New Year, but I’m reading and absorbing info and enjoying echoes (and maybe some KSMO in the wee hours of the morning when everyone else is asleep!) till Grandfather Time turns the clock forward.
*** Read Part 2. ***
Aroused and moaning,